Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 6, 2016

Giving Up

I am only an amateur fighter and I already have had 2 ACL reconstructive surgeries as a result of direct blows in training. I don't know of any amateur fighter who has had 2 major knee surgeries and also competes at a high level. Im not talking about the person whose dealing with injuries and just trains. Im talking about a competitive athlete with major injuries. 
At the pro level, I can name several muay thai and even mma fighters that have had at least one ACL surgery. Dom Cruz is the only pro fighter I have heard of that has also blew out both his knees AND had extraordinary comebacks. However, he hasn't fought a lot over the years. Not as much as I did after the first surgery. 
As an amateur this is all very discouraging because I do want to go pro one day. Although I had great results fighting last year, I feel some kind of hole in my heart to think that was all I got. Was last year the highlight of my fighting career? Does it all end there? Fuck no. I don't want it to end there. Maybe my ego is too big, but I feel like I have something more than that.
3 weeks post op I felt like the only way to adjust to the situation was to choose to give up. It tore me up inside trying to accept that giving up was an option. But thinking about it just made me furious. I get anxiety if I think about never returning to training and even more when I consider never fighting again. I thought about coaching more. But seeing people train pisses me off right now. I am not a coach. I suck at coaching. I can train people but coaching is something I don't do well.
I am told that I need to adjust and adapt. I am also told to feel blessed with all the things I have and to also feel good about my rapid progress with my knee. Every day I look at the calendar and count how many days Im away from being able to pivot. Its like being in jail. I know some people can just deal with situations like this, but I can not. I hate every moment of this recovery. I am not positive one bit about it. I try to occupy myself with things to do. Yet, nothing satisfies me. I pray that God brings me some peace every day. But, theres this burn inside my chest and I can't breathe. Its rage. I refuse to accept my situation. The moment I accept it and adjust is like giving up. I can't  just forget about training and fighting. I can not just push away my desire to fight. I refuse to get comfortable with my situation. I do not like it and don't want it. I hate every moment of this with a passion. 

No comments:

Post a Comment